Smoothies are already healthy; Robeks uses natural supplements to make them hearty, too
It’s not easy to change the way you eat.
Grab-and-go dining meshes well with our busy lifestyles, but the greasy fat- and salt-laden offerings that most restaurants offer have done no favors to Americans’ health or waistlines.
Dr. Ed Lieskovan, a professor of clinical pharmacy at USC, has a lot of sympathy for people who are trying to change their diet.
“Everybody’s running around so blood crazy these days just trying to make ends meet and keep up with their responsibilities,” he says. “And unless you’re one of these Hollywood actors or actresses that does a movie and then spends nine months working out and sitting on the beach with a private chef, it’s very difficult to make major modifications in your diet.”
Lieskovan, who developed natural nutritional supplements to make Robeks smoothies even more nutritious and filling, shared five reasons why smoothies are a good choice for people trying to improve their diets:
• You can eat healthy, fast. Americans know they need to eat healthier foods, but life gets busy and convenience is key when mealtime rolls around. Lieskovan says that smoothies help him keep his diet healthy even when he is in a hurry.
• They satisfy your appetite. Lieskovan admits that fruit and vegetables alone, mainly comprised of fiber and water, won’t always keep hunger at bay. Robeks’ protein supplements can be added to make a smoothie extremely filling. The protein alters the digestion process, adds very few calories and doesn’t change the smoothies’ taste.
• You can tailor the nutrition. One of the amazing things about smoothies is the ability to add fiber, protein, or other powdered supplements. “It’s one of the things that makes Robeks not just a smoothie bar, but a real health-oriented business,” Lieskovan says of the supplements. Mix the Fiberbek nutritional supplement into a smoothie and you’ve mixed in as much fiber as you’d get in two slices of wheat bread. You’d never know it from the taste.
• You can shrink your waistline. “Obviously we have an enormous health problem in the U.S. There simply is no way we can continue to exploit all the wonderful medical technologies we have on every person in every situation,” Lieskovan says of the obesity epidemic. “We’ve really got to get back to the basic idea that we can reduce the incidence of chronic diseases through dietary intervention. What we feel we can do is give people, in a very friendly and easy to use form, a tremendous amount of health benefits.”
• It’s healthy food that you can enjoy. Lieskovan likes to talk about the “kid test” when it comes to nutrition. Is this something a kid would willingly eat? If the answer is “no,” then most adults won’t want to eat it either. Smoothies pass the test. “Kids don’t drink smoothies because they’re healthy, they drink smoothies because they’re great to drink.”
Robeks has been helping customers lose weight and feel better for 18 years. If you’ve never had a smoothie as a meal, stop in and talk to one of our sales associates. Our experts can guide you to the perfect smoothie that will satisfy your tastes while helping you meet your health goals.